The best part of every good camping trip typically takes place around the bonfire: dinner time! And there’s no better way to enjoy good food and company than with a relaxing cannabis-infused buzz–it just wouldn’t be Camp Eaze without it.
Before you set out on your socially-distanced camping trip (even if it’s just a bunch of blanket forts and glow-in-the-dark stars in your living room), spend a little time in the kitchen–or, errr, the mess hall–to whip up some delicious treats for your time away–it’s a somewhat complex process, but well worth the dedication.
While it’s easy enough to pack a few gummies and call it a day, there’s something intensely satisfying about enjoying a nutrient-rich edible you made yourself. It allows you to appreciate the peace and quiet of nature the right way.
Making cannabutter or cannabis-infused cooking oil is the first step when it comes to preparing your own edibles. Although it doesn’t require much effort, this is the most time-consuming part of the process, so we suggest you set aside a day before cooking your treats to prep the butter/oil. Then, whenever you’re ready to cook, it’s as simple as adding it to the dish.
This product is not available.
This product is not available.
How to Make Cannabutter/oil
- 1 cup of butter or cooking oil of choice (we recommend coconut oil)
- 1 cup (7-10 grams) of cannabis (we recommend Circles’ Blue Dream Base Camp or Circles Nigerian Punch Eclipse )
- Parchment paper
- Mason jar (for storage)
- Decarboxylate your weed. This is the most important step of the entire process–if not followed correctly, your edibles will do nothing but taste vaguely of hemp. THC is the component of cannabis that makes you feel high, and it cannot be activated without heat. However, this same process should be applied even with CBD products.
Preheat your oven to 245° F. While you wait for it to warm up, place your cannabis buds on a nonstick, oven-safe tray or baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Once ready, place in the oven for 30-40 minutes (older cannabis may take slightly less time to decarb), mixing the buds around every 10 minutes or so.
- Grind your weed. Grind the decarbed cannabis with a hand grinder.
- Melt your butter/oil. Place it in a small saucepan or pot, allowing it to simmer. Add some water to prevent burning.
- Stir in your weed. Once the butter or oil is hot and melted through, add your decarbed greens and allow to simmer on low heat for about 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture should never come to a boil.
- Strain the mixture. Once your cannabutter/oil is cooled, it’s time to strain. Place your funnel lined with the cheesecloth over the mason jar. Pour the mixture over the cheesecloth and allow it to strain freely. Refrigerate for future use!
And now, you have a full ration of cannabis-infused butter or cooking oil! The potency will depend on quite a few factors: how long it was cooked for, how hot the temperature was, and how potent the flower was to begin with. To test it out, try dabbing ½ teaspoon on a snack and see how you feel in an hour.
Once you feel confident in your cannabutter abilities, it’s time to start making some edibles! Here are a few quick and easy snacks you can prep before your trip to boost your experience to the next level:
No-Bake Baked Energy Bites
- 1-2 teaspoons of cannabutter (see the above dosage test to determine the amount you want to use)
- 1 cup of instant oats
- ¼ cup of almond butter
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of crushed pretzels
- ¼ cup of chopped almonds (or other nut of choice)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the almond butter, honey, and cannabutter/oil, stirring until well-mixed.
- Add the vanilla extract and repeat until well-mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients remaining and stir until it is fully coated.
- Use a spoon to scoop 12 balls and place onto parchment paper.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Hot ‘n’ Hazy Roasted Almonds
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon of cannabutter/oil (adjust to more/less as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stirring until thoroughly coated. Transfer almonds to the baking sheet, spreading the almonds out into a single layer.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the almonds are dark brown.
- Allow to cool before packaging for your trip!
Buzzin’ Banana Bread
- ½ cup of cannabutter/oil (use more/less as needed)
- 1 ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of nuts (pecans or walnuts are recommended)
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup of yogurt
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 overly ripe, mashed bananas
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter/oil a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, nuts, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the eggs, cannabutter/oil, yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in the mashed bananas, and then add the banana mixture into the flour mixture.
- Once combined, stir the mixture into the pan, making sure it is even. Baked until it is browned and passes the toothpick test–about an hour. Allow to cool before enjoying.
Licenses: Circles C11-0000532-LIC